Mold resulting from water damage i.e. leaks, floods, storms can cause serious health problems if not dealth with right away. Some mold can cause allergies while others can lead to mold poisoning. One of the most common allergies resulting from mold exposure is hay fever which in turn leads to nose stuffiness, flu & irritation of the eyes. Other people may experience skin rashness from the mold. Mold is a micro-organism fungus that includes yeast & mushrooms. Mold from water damage usually occurs as a result of a pipe burst, roof leak, or a heavy summer storm. Mold from water damage needs the following properties to grow:
- Source of moisture
- Spores of mold present indoors & outdoors
- Temperature range of 5 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius
- Mold needs a structure to grow on i.e. wood, drywall, baseboards, shower curtains, books, carpets, etc.
To clean mold from water damage, follow the steps indicated on how to clean a mold problem in your home.
- Identify the source of the moisture & stop it. For instance, if it is a window or a window frame that is broken, be sure to replace it immediately.
- Wet items that cannot be salvaged should be removed & disposed of immediately.
- Dry the mold affected area immediately or within 48 hours to stop mold growth.
- Do not do any refinishing until all mold has been removed.
Here are some safety tips to follow if you decide to remove the mold yourself, or hire a professional mold removal company.
- Mold infested area should be sealed off immediately from the rest of your house using plastic sheets.
- Anyone removing the mold must be wearing goggles, long sleeve gear & other protective gear.
- Place an exhaust fan to move air from the moldy areas to the outdoors to avoid clogging of moisture.
- Use fragrance-free mold-approved detergents that are specifically made to kill mold.
- Moldy materials should be sealed in plastic bags and disposed off in a landfill immediately.
- Be sure to put the moldy materials outside of the home immediately and do not carry it around the home.
Here is a great educational video on areas damaged from water leaks & cleaning of mold. It shows you how to dry out buildings after floods, leaks & water damage. The video shows how to use an infrared camera that detects water behind walls & sources of mold growth. A simple moisture meter might not be able to detect sources of mold growth. Water appears as dark images on the infrared camera, hence large buildings & homes can be quickly inspected for sources of moisture & mold growth without spending huge sums of money. After locating all wet areas, install dehumidifiers & fans to dry off the wet areas. Also in case of a significant flood, carpets & walls may need to be removed to clean up the entire area.