Mold Testing Tips

If you are purchasing an older home, it is best to have it inspected for mold or fungus that could have developed in areas such as the attic, basement, garage, bathrooms or even in the garden. Mold testing is a process by which a home is inspected for fungus or bacteria and is carried out by a certified professional. While the test will not identify the type of mold in your home or its specific location, it will tell you the counts of mold (how many places mold was found). You should be aware that almost all homes carry some form of mold, be it toxic or non-toxic. Toxic molds have health consequences & can lead to mold poisoning while non-toxic molds are harmless and can be removed by following simple procedures such as removing them with the Concrobium Mold Control Solution. It is the best liquid solution to kill mold. It contains no bleach, ammonia or VOCs. When this solution is sprayed on mold, it works as it dries, killing mold in the process. Concrobium Mold Control solution hardens itself over the moldy surface to form an invisible film that physically crushes the mold & micro-organism underneath. Go here to learn tips to get rid of black mold.

Mold tests vary in scope & quality and many times homeowners don’t really need to pay to have one done as signs of mold are already present in the home. E.g. a musty smell in the basement or bathroom or visible signs of mold growing in certain areas of your home are enough to make the conclusion that the home does have mold problems.

Mold Sampling is the process whereby after identifying a potential mold problem in your home, you determine to find out what type of mold it is. The Center for Disease Control & Prevention does not recommend you sampling molds because i) it can get expensive and ii) it is not worth the effort. If your home contains mold, there is a potential health risk. Therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal. If you find that mold testing tells you the mold is larger than 10 square feet, you should consult a mold inspection professional to determine the source of the mold & immediate removal. You should also talk to your mold professional about how to prevent toxic mold from further growth in vulnerable areas in your home. Typical solutions are cleaning the attic in your roof, fixing a broken roof tile that lets water pass through, eliminating too much moisture from your bathrooms/showers by opening the windows & cleaning regularly, etc.

If the mold is large & toxic, you should never try to do it yourself. Always consult a professional mold inspector because i) he will be trained to deal with such risks and ii) he will have the appropriate gear & equipment to protect himself i.e. gloves, goggles, etc.

Spores of Mold occur indoors & outdoors of the home & can enter your home through open doorways, windows, heating, ventilation, & air conditioning systems with outdoor air intakes. Spores of mold can also get attached to clothing, bags, shoes, & pets who would bring them into the home when entering. Mold spores grow very rapidly in areas of excessive moisture including leakage that could have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or areas where flooding has occurred. Other products such as paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products that could be sitting in your garage or basement provide conducive growth environments for molds.

Eye-opening video that shows mold that can grow in areas you never thought of including mold hidden under floors, mold hidden behind walls, mold in contaminated ductwork, mold hidden in attic spaces, mold in basements.