In our guide on practical tips to remove black mold, we mention if the mold is greater than 10 square inches or if the musty smell is too irritating & causes mold poisoning in your home, it is best to call a qualified mold removal company. They will do an initial mold inspection & recommend steps to take to remove the mold.
A good mold inspection company will follow these steps to find mold in your home. Note that this is not a comprehensive list, different mold removal companies may have different procedures, however, these are guidelines you should be aware of:
- Has the property ever experienced water damage problems including roof leak, water leak, flooding, water intrusion, etc? If so, the mold inspector should examine these areas carefully for signs of growing mold.
- Are there any trees, shrubs, or plants growing that are close to the home? Too many plants or trees block ultraviolet sunlight from shining on the home, which has the effect of killing mold growth. Also, dead plants & leaves provide food to the mold that can rapidly grow if they get food. The mold that is growing fast becomes airborne and can enter the home through windows, roof & open doors.
- Is the roof in good condition with no broken shingles, cracks, or holes that allow nasty fungi & air to flow into the home? Also, any broken plumbing vent pipes or air conditioning units can lead to mold growth. It is common for mold to grow in bathroom sink drains & get accumulated in the pipes. The best way to remove this mold is to mix bleach with water and flow it through the pipes. Follow our practical tips on black mold removal.
- Is there hidden water moisture found behind wall cavities, floors, below ceramic tiles, bathroom walls, tubs, showers, curtains, below bathroom kitchen or sink, in the basement or crawl spaces, in the attic, behind floor baseboards or behind window frames? The mold inspector will use his moisture meter to determine the degree of water that is hidden behind these areas, and if there is any mold growth. He should be able to tell you within accuracy if there is mold growing in such areas & if action needs to be taken. The image on the right is of Sonin digital moisture meter. Here are the specifications from the manufacturer:
- Detects Moisture percentages 5-40%.
- Easy to Read Large LCD Display.
- Locate & trace roof leaks and water seepage and access the extent of mold growth, wet rot & hidden condensation.
- Detect the level of moisture present in wood, sheetrock, carpets & more.
- Find out if potentially damaging excess moisture is present.
- Test hard or softwood, concrete, plaster, carpet, and more to determine the extent of moisture problems.
- Check decks before staining or sealing.
- Is there mold growth or contamination inside the home’s heating, ventilation, or air conditioning systems? The mold inspector will take a piece of cloth or mold plate and stick it on a grill of each zone of the air conditioning system and run the system for 15 minutes. This procedure will spit out possible mold infestation spores on to the piece of cloth & tell the inspector if there is a possibility for mold growing inside the air conditioning system.
- Is the humidity level in your home exceeding 55%? Humidity is the amount of moisture or water vapor in the air and is expressed as a percentage of the maximum that the air could hold at that temperature. When the relative humidity in your home exceeds 50% – 55%, nasty substances such as Black mold, bacteria, dust mites, viruses & another fungus will accumulate & grow. Read this article on controlling mold growth in your home using humidity sensors.