What is Toxic Mold & Symptoms of Toxic Mold

If you read our article on Aspergillus Mold, we mentioned Mold is a type of fungi with over 160 different types of species. Some of this mold is toxic and most other fungi are harmless. Toxic mold is a serious mold that makes human beings & animals sick because it produces Mycotoxin. A mycotoxin is a toxic compound that is produced off chemicals such as polypeptides, amino acids, phenols, or terpenoids. Fungi & mold species are known to use Mycotoxin in normal metabolism and physiology. Mycotoxins can cause short & long term health implications including skin rashes, headaches, blood in feces, depression, fever & nausea. Go here for a complete list of possible mold poisoning diseases. Mycotoxins are known to weaken even the strongest immune systems and more serious health consequences include Asthma, abdominal pain, loss of memory & lung cancer. You might wonder how does toxic mold cause lung Cancer? The reason is when mold spores are disturbed, they become airborne and are invisible to the eye. Human beings can breathe in mold spores that will be floating in the air & in this case, toxic fungi can invade the lungs leading to respiratory problems & possible lung cancer.

In order to prevent side effects from toxic mold, it is necessary to control moisture and humidity. Mold spores grow very rapidly in areas of excessive moisture including leakage that could have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or areas where flooding has occurred. Other products such as paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products that could be sitting in your garage or basement provide conducive growth environments for molds. Here are some tips to control moisture:

– Repair plumbing or water leaks immediately.
– Repair broken roof shingles immediately to stop the flow of water into the home.
– Use a dehumidifier or air conditioner to control moisture. Read our tips on measuring humidity in your home using Sensors.
– Allow air to flow into your home by opening windows, doors & letting moisture out.
– Use exhaust fans in bathrooms and in the kitchen when cooking. This makes sure moisture does not accumulate in one area.
– Insulate the floor space of the attic to avoid moisture build-up. Read tips on remove mold from attic.

There are many symptoms & health risks associated with mold, including mold poisoning. The most frequent health risks associated with toxic mold are:

  • Chronic fatigue
  • Dermatitis
  • Diarrhea
  • Hair loss
  • Headaches and other flu-like symptoms
  • Immune system suppression (resulting in increasing numbers of infections)
  • Nose bleeds
  • Psychological depression
  • Pulmonary hemorrhage
  • Sore throats